Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Branson Eating Tips


Eating Out in Branson-Some General Comments and Tips

Branson caters to tourists. Like other cities that cater to tourists prices are likely to be higher than usual and quality less than expected. This is a generalization and does not hold true for every restaurant of course. However, in a town with a strong tourist trade, many of the customers are not repeat customers by nature allowing the owners to serve substandard food at excessive prices. My tips to visitors to Branson are as follows:

  • Eat before you come. (Just kidding.)
  • Eat at chains. A chain restaurant such as McDonald's or Taco Bell will have generally the same prices as elsewhere and the same quality. We also have Steak and Shake, Olive Garden and the like. Stay with a chain and you won't go insane.
  • Keep in mind that you came to visit Branson to have a good time and not necessarily to have a grand culinary experience. (You may have an adventuresome culinary experience; but not necessarily a grand one). If you want a grand culinary experience you might try Rome or Paris or even New York.
  • Read my blog where I review restaurants.
  • Most pizza chains will deliver to your room.
  • If you are really adventuresome, read the Taney County Food Inspection in The Branson TriLakes News. As I write this I am looking at the June 23, 2012 edition and find that one of my favorite restaurants did not pass inspection and had 2 Non-Critical Violations and 7 Critical Violations. Wow, check it if you dare or go to this site and type in the name of the restaurant where you plan to eat: http://www.taneycohealth.org/inspections.php
  • Carry a supply of tums, Pepto Bismol, and various antiacids in your travel kit.
  • Get a room with a microwave and a refrigerator and bring in frozen foods from Wal-Mart or a grocery store. You will save a boatload of money and the quality should be as good as you get at some of the travel restaurants.
  • If the restaurant caters to buses, or if you see a bus there, just keep on driving.
With these tips you should be able to survive your trip to Branson.




1 comment:

Ernest Jett said...

My wife reminds me that despite my comments which are, in part, tongue in cheek, there are still a number of good and fun restaurants in the area. If I run across some, I will write about them in my blog.